POSITION: ACCOUNTING MANAGER EXEMPT, NON-REPRESENTED
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled - First Review: January 10, 2020
SALARY RANGE: $71,131 to $90,799 plus benefit/retirement package
JOB SUMMARY: The Accounting Manager is chiefly responsible for providing direction and oversight to the Bellingham and Whatcom County Housing Authorities (BWCHA) accounting team in the preparation, oversight and reporting of all accounting functions.
The position is responsible for establishing and maintaining BWCHA accounting systems and procedures and
the training of BWCHA staff in their use. The Accounting Manager produces the Annual Financial Report and
manages the annual audit process. The position also is responsible for United States Department of Housing
and Urban Development (HUD) reporting and monitoring and reporting involved with Low Income Housing Tax
SUPERVISORY RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Director of Finance. Supervises professional accountants,accounting technicians, temporary staff members and other departmental support positions. Serves as a member of the Finance Department management team. Works independently under applicable BWCHA, Stateand professional regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Directs the accounting function of BWCHA, including assisting in the establishment and monitoring of BWCHA financial policies. Ensures that all financial accounting production meets conformance standards established by State and federal regulations and functions in an effective and efficient manner.
2. Assists in the development, analysis and reporting of key financial information to the Board of Commissioners, staff and the public. Communicates this information to State, federal, financial institutions and bond rating authorities as required. Produces BWCHA’s Annual Financial Report, quarterly reports and monthly reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principals (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and HUD requirements. Responsible for and directs staff in the preparation of accurate and timely specialized internal reports as needed.
3. Assists with hiring accounting staff, regularly evaluates employee performance, investigates and resolves personnel problems. Assigns work, provides direction, training and assistance with problems encountered by accounting staff. Ensures that quality accounting services are provided to BWCHA departments and that accounting procedures are followed.
4. Coordinates with BWCHA’s Information Technology Services Department to identify problems, develop corrective action and assist with implementing new software. Evaluates and provides system support for accounting and financial reporting issues. Maximizes the potential of available systems.
5. Coordinates and provides staff training for all departments in the use of BWCHA’s financial procedures, systems and reports.
6. Serves as a professional resource for the Board of Commissioners, Executive Director/CEO, department heads and BWCHA staff in the interpretation of accounting and internal control requirements. Consults with departments to develop informative financial reporting systems that accurately reflect operational results. Provides analysis and assistance to departments in developing improved operating procedures.
7. Responsible for completion and oversight of all electronic media financial submissions required by federal and state agencies, including annual report submissions to HUD and the State Auditor’s Office (SAO).
8. Serves as Finance Department management representative during fiscal audits and reviews including the State Auditor’s performance audits.
9. Provides direction to property Management Company for required financial reporting. Reviews and monitors the management company’s annual financial reporting and audits of low-income tax credit LP/LLC. Reviews audits for compliance with bond indentures, lender and LP/LLC documents. Reviews and proofs P/LLC federal tax returns for execution and submittal by the Executive Director/CEO.
Additional Accounting functions as assigned, may include:
1. Directs and coordinates the compilation of information for use in official statements related to the issuance of long-term debt. Assists in the analysis of financing alternatives. Ensures that debt-issue management is in compliance with federal, State and arbitrage regulations. Responsible for oversight of debt service repayment.
2. Liaison with the State Auditor’s Office and other auditors in the examination of BWCHA’s compliance with state reporting and regulatory requirements and the Annual Financial Report.
3. Answers questions from the general public, property managers and internal staff concerning financial reporting issues.
4. Provides budget support as needed.
5. Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
Education and Experience:
Licenses or Certificates:
TO APPLY: Position is open until filled with first review on Friday, January 10, 2020.
Download forms below, or obtain a packet from our front desk, located at 208 Unity Street, Bellingham, WA. Lobby Hours: 9am-4pm (M-F).
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKETS WILL BE ACCEPTED VIA:
• EMAIL: HR@BellinghamHousing.org
• FAX: 360-676-7747
• MAIL: P.O. BOX 9701, BELLINGHAM, WA 98227
THE BELLINGHAM HOUSING AUTHORITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Click here for Job Description
Click here for Job Application Form
Click here for Affirmative Action Form