POSITION: Housing Programs Assistant NON-EXEMPT
CLOSING DATE: October 25, 2019 REPRESENTED
SALARY RANGE: $35,968 to $38,165 plus benefit/retirement package
JOB SUMMARY: This position is chiefly responsible for providing exceptional customer service to
everyone that contacts BWCHA for assistance. This position provides receptionist duties, client
support and administrative support contributing to the overall effectiveness of the authority.
Works cooperatively with and supports the efforts of the Housing Programs department staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Works effectively and cooperatively with a wide range of people, using courtesy,
compassion and tact.
2. Provides superior customer service to BWCHA clients, landlords, community partners and
3. Analyzes needs of the client and recommends appropriate programs or referrals.
4. Provides support to BWCHA applicants and participants in utilizing online portals.
5. Functions as BWCHA’s receptionist. Duties include:
➢ Answers multi-line phone system and appropriately directs calls.
➢ Provides front line customer service both in person and over the phone.
➢ Analyzes needs of the client and provides appropriate program information and/or referrals.
➢ Receives paperwork from clients, effectively assesses its completion and routes it to the
appropriate staff person.
➢ Assists clients with completing applications, recertifications and other required documentation.
➢ Date stamps and sorts agency mail as received.
➢ Completes receipting for funds received in the mail or at the front desk.
➢ Completes entry for all BHA program pre-applications.
6. Processes and posts agency mail.
7. Supports Housing Coordinator I in the management of program waitlists and eligibility
8. Supports administrative functions of HQS inspections, such as scheduling, data entry and
follow up communication with landlords and clients.
9. Provides additional administrative and clerical support to Housing Program staff and
special projects as assigned. Performs additional duties as assigned.
10. May provide bilingual support.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
This position functions primarily in an office environment. Incumbents must be able to
effectively utilize computers and related software, computer printers, photocopier, fax, and
telephone system (multiple line).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Excellent customer service; must have a courteous, compassionate, and tactful manner.
• Basic working understanding of the organization's programs, policies, and terminology.
• Ability to analyze needs of the client and family and recommend support services.
• Working knowledge of business English composition, spelling, punctuation and mathematics.
• Ability to interpret and apply program information in making work decision or in providing
information to others.
• Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with a wide range of people, including patrons,
which may be under significant personal stress.
• Ability to organize, establish priorities and independently perform work assignments.
• Ability to work effectively with frequent interruptions.
• Ability to communicate effectively with agency staff, the general public and other agency
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to communicate with clients who have limited written and oral English skills.
• Maintain dependable, punctual attendance.
• Ability to speak and read Russian or Spanish is desired.
Education and Experience
• High School Diploma or G.E.D.
• Two years in a social services environment with administrative support and/or rental
management experience (or a combination of education and experience approved by the Executive
Licenses or Certificates
• Must possess valid Washington State Motor Vehicle Operator's License at the time of hire and
an acceptable driving record (according to BHA standards).
Within the first 12 months of employment:
• Occupancy and Rent Calculation Specialist Certificate
• LIHTC Fundamentals Certificate
• Fair Housing Certificate
TO APPLY: Download forms below, or obtain a packet from our front desk,
located at 208 Unity Street, Bellingham, WA.Lobby Hours: 9am-4pm (M-F).
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKETS WILL BE ACCEPTED VIA:
• EMAIL: email@example.com
• FAX: 360-676-7747
• MAIL: P.O. BOX 9701, BELLINGHAM, WA 98227
THE BELLINGHAM HOUSING AUTHORITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER