MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN I
Maintenance Technician I / Non-Exempt, Represented
Open Until Filled: First Review August 5, 2021
$44,874 – $59,090
New hires generally start between step 1-3, $44,874 to $48,070. Placement within the range is based on qualifications and professional experience. The current full salary range for this position is between $44,874 – $59,090/year.
This position is chiefly responsible for maintaining BHA properties, preserving the asset, enhancing the livability for residents and ensuring BHA continues to have quality affordable housing opportunities to offer.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Maintenance Technician I is capable of performing all of the following duties but will be primarily responsible for those assigned to them. The duties of staff in this position may vary in an effort to balance workloads, maximize individual strengths, and provide opportunity for personal and department growth and effectiveness. The essential job functions are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty allocated to this classification but rather an illustration of the more typical functions.
- Performs basic building system repair, maintenance and carpentry of all building systems such as cabinets and counters, flooring, drywall, ceilings, roofing, trim, doors, windows, paint/varnish, foundations, crawl spaces and drive/walkways. Replaces filters, thermostats, valves, and motors.
- Performs vacant unit restoration/renovation. Demolishes items to be replaced and removes trash. Performs plumbing, electrical work, paint preparation and wall painting. Maintains floors, carpentry, and windows. Installs carpet and vinyl flooring.
- Performs basic plumbing maintenance and repair to bathrooms, kitchens, sprinklers, hot water systems, heating systems, clogged drains, toilets, faucets, and thermostats.
- Performs basic electrical repair and maintenance to equipment, appliances, telephone, and cable. Repairs and replaces plugs, switches, elements/controls, phone jacks, receptacles, TV/cable receptacles.
- Performs unit inspections accurately applying applicable program inspection standards.
- Performs routine maintenance of heating, cooling and exhaust systems.
- Applies appropriate pesticides and controls for insects, rodents, and birds.
- Assists in performing repair troubleshooting/diagnosis. Assists in assessing repairs needed and determining the best remedy.
- Assists in the requisition of replacement parts and supplies inventories.
- Performs after hours on-call duties as needed.
- Communicates with contractors and vendors at the assignment of the Maintenance Manager or Maintenance Technician III.
- Performs appliance pick-up and delivery.
- Removes, disposes and delivers trash, furniture and other items to refuse location as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including providing back up to Building Services Technician I & II and assisting Maintenance Technician II as needed.
Other Job Functions
- Demolishes items to be replaced and removes trash.
- Cleans, prepares and paints exterior walls, including removing graffiti as needed.
- Picks up garbage, furniture and delivers to refuse location.
- Performs snow and ice removal.
- Performs other general labor as assigned and may be required to work outside of normal business hours, including weekends as needed.
WORKING CONDITIONS & EQUIPMENT USED
This position works at various Housing Authority properties. Work is performed both indoors and on the grounds. The incumbent is exposed to construction site hazards and inclement weather.
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Ability to complete work orders in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to use computers and applicable software.
- Ability to climb, crawl, and work at roof level heights while performing basic construction tasks.
- Knowledge of fall protection/safety practices.
- Knowledge of standard construction and maintenance practices, including ability to complete facility/house repairs.
- Ability to read, write, understand the English language, follow and understand oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret appliance service manuals.
- Ability to work effectively with and around a wide range of people.
- Ability to operate a forklift.
- Working knowledge of pest control techniques.
- Ability to recognize and guard against unsanitary conditions and hazards, including removal and disposal of biohazards. Performs assigned work in a safe manner.
- Maintain dependable, punctual attendance.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. required and one year of trade school in areas of mechanical repairs, carpentry, electrical and plumbing. Education may be substituted for up to one year of work experience.
- Two years of maintenance work experience required. Also, experience using equipment such as a variety of hand construction and repair tools and equipment, including saws (hand and power), drills, plumbing tools, electrical tools, sanders, and ladders.
Licenses or Certificates
- Must possess valid Washington State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and an acceptable driving record (according to BHA standards).
- Must acquire State of Washington Department of Labor and Industries Basic First Aid Card and CPR certification within one year of employment.
- State Pesticide Applicator’s License highly desirable.
The position requires the incumbent to drive from site to site, lift construction materials, perform repetitive, heavy labor, climb, walk, stand, crawl, and stoop. Must be able to list 50lbs routinely and 75 lbs with assistance.
Ability to diagnose basic maintenance problems and identify solutions.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary Range: $44,874 – $59,090 plus exc. benefit/retirement package
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Washington State Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)
- 11 Holidays and 2 Personal Holidays
- Generous Vacation and Sick Leave Accruals
- Employer Contribution to VEBA Account