Grounds Technician I / Non-Exempt, Represented
Open Until Filled: First Review August 16, 2021
$36,917 – $39,547
New hires generally start between step 1-3, $36,917 to $39,547. Placement within the range is based on qualifications and professional experience. The current full salary range for this position is between $36,917 – $48,614/year.
This position performs basic routine grounds maintenance and repair functions to contribute to a safe, healthy, and attractive living environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs lawn care functions such as mowing, pruning, trimming, fertilizing, aerating, thatching, weed control and watering.
- Services and maintains grounds equipment, irrigation systems, rain drain systems, etc. Assures equipment is ready for operation, adjusts and repairs sprinklers, and cleans gutters and roofs.
- Performs tree and shrub care such as pruning, shaping and fertilizing.
- Performs daily work preparations as assigned.
- Performs pesticide applications as needed and/or as directed.
- Performs pressure washing, and cleaning of roofs, gutters, storm drains.
- Performs repairs to gutters, downspouts, fencing and other areas as needed.
Other Job Functions
- Demolishes items to be replaced and removes trash.
- Cleans, prepares and paints exterior walls, including removing graffiti as needed.
- Picks up garbage, furniture and delivers to refuse location.
- Performs snow and ice removal.
- Performs other general labor as assigned and may be required to work outside of normal business hours, including weekends as needed.
WORKING CONDITIONS & EQUIPMENT USED
This position works at various Housing Authority properties. Work is performed both indoors and on the grounds. The incumbent is exposed to grounds/maintenance-related hazards and inclement weather. The incumbent must be able to utilize a wide range of hand and power tools used in grounds and maintenance, including one ton pickup and trailer, commercial lawn mower, edger, weed eater, blower, thatcher, aerator, leaf vacuum, fertilizer applicator, chipper, snow blower, chain saw, hedge trimmer, and pesticide applicator. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs on a routine basis and 75 lbs with assistance.
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Ability to climb, crawl, and work in tiring positions.
- Basic knowledge of routine grounds maintenance practices.
- Knowledge and ability to properly maintain equipment.
- Knowledge of fall protection/safety practices.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate trucks, trailers and other grounds equipment.
- Basic knowledge of grounds maintenance practices.
- Knowledge of irrigation systems.
- Ability to perform basic construction tasks.
- Ability to read, write, understand the English language, follow and understand oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret equipment service manuals.
- Ability to recognize and guard against unsanitary conditions and hazards and perform assigned work in a safe manner.
- Ability to lift heavy loads, perform strenuous physical labor, and work in tiring positions.
- Ability to work effectively with and around a wide range of people.
- Ability to recognize hazards and perform assigned work in a safe manner.
- Maintain dependable, punctual attendance.
- Ability to properly perform weed and pest treatments.
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Six months of continuous grounds maintenance work experience. Experience using a variety of grounds maintenance equipment.
Licenses or Certificates
- Must possess valid Washington State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and an acceptable driving record (according to BHA standards).
- Must acquire State of Washington Department of Labor and Industries Basic First Aid Card and CPR certification within one year of employment.
- Must acquire within 6 months of hire a valid WSDA pesticide public operator license.
This position requires the incumbent to drive from site to site. Incumbent must be able to walk, stand, climb, crawl, stoop, lift grounds maintenance equipment, and perform repetitive, heavy labor and skilled grounds maintenance functions.
Ability to recognize various landscaping issues and respond quickly.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary Range: $36,917 – $48,614 plus exc. benefit/retirement package
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Washington State Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)
- 11 Holidays and 2 Personal Holidays
- Generous Vacation and Sick Leave Accruals
- Employer Contribution to VEBA Account