Candidate Sought for the Housing Authority of Whatcom County Board of Commissioners
The Housing Authority of Whatcom County (HAWC) is currently seeking one new commissioner for the Board of Commissioners.
The combined Boards of the City of Bellingham Housing Authority and the Whatcom County Housing Authority consists of five members, one of which is a resident position. Of these, three members are named by the City of Bellingham Mayor. The Commissioners are the governing bodies for both housing authorities and are responsible for approving decisions that chart the direction of current and future programs, and authorize the actions of the Executive Director and his designees.
Regular Board meetings are held the third Tuesday of the month at 1 p.m. Commissioners serve five-year terms and receive no financial compensation for their service on the Board.
To be eligible for appointment, candidates must be residents of Whatcom County outside of the City of Bellingham and be at least 18 years old. In addition to these requirements, it is highly desirable that candidates possess one or more of the following qualifications:
- Commitment to HAWC’s mission to offer opportunities for people to thrive by ensuring access to quality, affordable homes;
- Familiarity with the needs, conditions, and services available to lower income residents of Bellingham;
- Experience developing, implementing, and monitoring public policy;
- Knowledge and expertise concerning the successful administration of mid to large business, non-profit, or governmental entities and have served in a management position within such an entity;
- Knowledge and expertise concerning community development programs and issues;
- Knowledge and expertise concerning affordable housing programs and issues.
To be considered for appointment by the County Executive, please send a letter of interest and resume to: Executive Services Manager, 208 Unity Street, Bellingham, WA 98225 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. An application must also be submitted through the County website at https://www.whatcomcounty.us/441/Housing-Authority-of-Whatcom-County
Your letter of interest should address:
- Your desire and willingness to serve on the Housing Authority of Whatcom County Board of Commissioners and indicating the strengths that you would bring to the Housing Authority’s Board;
- A brief record of your personal history and experience which highlights any of the above listed qualifications possessed.
Please also include with your submittal:
- Proof of Whatcom County residency (outside of the City of Bellingham) (Provide 2 of the following: a copy of your driver’s license; voter registration card; utility bill; rent receipt; or verifiable lease agreement.)
- The names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references.
This information can be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered to:
Bellingham & Whatcom County Housing Authorities
208 Unity St.
Bellingham, WA 98225
An application shall have been deemed to have been transmitted by the prescribed deadline if all required information has been delivered by fax, e-mail, or by hand to the Bellingham Housing Authority or deposited in the United States mail, as registered or certified mail, by 5:00 p.m., May 13, 2022.